Churchill's British Resistance - The Auxiliary Units

 

Aldbrough Auxiliary Unit Patrol

A report by Andy Gwynne. If you can help with any info please contact us.

This page last updated at 11:04am on 20/12/11

Research into this patrol and its training is ongoing. The information below is published from various sources and is by no means conclusive. If information is not listed below it does not necessarily mean the information is not out there but normally means CART researchers have not found it yet.

If you have any information on this patrol or can help with research in this area please do contact us.

Aldbrough patrol was part of the Southern Area of the East Riding which consisted of five groups 5 to 9. Aldbrough was in No 5 group along with Bewholme, Catwick, Skirlaugh and Hornsea Patrols


It is unknown when the patrol was formed.

The area group Commander was Captain Walter Kitching (b 07/08/1897) who was the steward at Grimston Estate. He was also Group Commander of No5 Group. His assistant Area Group Commander was Captain Carrington (b.Dec1899) and was also Group Commander of the No7 Group.

The following are the entries found in the Nominal Roll. Exact addresses have been removed by CART.

Members 1944 List

Occupation

Date of Birth

Sgt Richard M Crawforth Farmer 08/05/1922
Cpl Walter H Fisher Farm Worker 14/04/1912
Pte Eric Beadle Farm Worker 07/111924
Pte George Crawford Farmer 29/01/1914
Pte Frank Wood Min of Agr Official 12/02/1891
Pte Kenneth S Burrell Tractor Driver 08/06/1925
Pte Frank D Blanchard * Tractor Driver 06/06/1916

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

* Pte Blanchard was also a member of the Bewholme Patrol at some stage and a Corporal Kenneth Foot, Schoolhouse, Grimston was also listed as a earlier member.

The OB is located 1.5 miles South of the village of Aldbrough within managed private woodland on top a raised area. It was not known if this was man made or a natural rise in the area however the ground around is very wet and maybe the OB was placed on a man made hill of sorts as a first Mk 1 OB was dismantled and a new Mk3 OB built on the raised area. Flooding was probably the culprit.

On top of the OB was a large pile of soil where we were told ventilation Pipes extruded underneath. They had been covered for safety reasons. We were also informed that in the same wood were ammunition underground stores that had been built but had never been found.

Aldbrough Patrol - Surrounding area to the west of the OB

Aldbrough Patrol - View from the Main shaft to the East of the OB

Albrough Patrol - A depression in the ground is all that remains of the first MK1 OB that was here

First OB (Above) was a Mk1 which dropped out of use and was destroyed. A MK3 was built and has been capped for safety reasons due to there being children on site as the wood is used as a Scout Summer Camp.

Condition of OB: Seemed to be in good condition although no access could be gained.

Aldbrough Patrol - The Entrance shaft now Capped in concrete.

Size of OB and entrance/exit etc: Main entrance shaft capped with concrete (Above).

12ft wide x 20ft long. The escape tunnel was some 40 feet away and doglegged. Escape Hatch was found. (See below)

Albrough Patrol - The Escape Tunnel almost 40 feet away from the OB

Aldbrough Patrol - View from the escape Hatch up to the OB

Orientation of OB: East to West

Observation Post/s: None.

Not known

Training was carried out at Rise Park and Middleton Hall

Revolvers, Sten Guns, Sticky Bombs, Hand Grenades and a 2ft Rubber Cosh.

None Currently

Defence of Britain Archive, East Ridings Secret Resistance by Alan Williamson
Mr Rob Siddle Trustee for ....... Wood (Name removed to preserve the site).

If you can help with any info please contact us.