Broadmayne Auxiliary Unit Patrol
This page was last updated at 8:00 am on 6/5/14
Thank you for selecting information on the
Broadmayne Auxiliary Unit Patrol and Operational Base. This patrol report was provided by CART CIO for
Dorset Dr. Will Ward.
Research into this patrol and its training is ongoing. The information below is published from
various sources and is by no means conclusive. If information is not listed below
it does not necessarily mean the information is not out there but normally means CART researchers
have not found it yet.
If you have any information on this patrol or can help with research in this area please do
FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THE BROADMAYNE D5
EVENT WE DID IN 2014 HERE
Lt Philip Saunders was the first Broadmayne patrol sergeant but was promoted to 2nd Lieutenant (6/1/43) and then
lieutenant (24/6/43) to assist Capt George Fortnum from Bloxworth in running the Group. As well as commanding the
Broadmayne patrol he also was closely involved in overseeing another patrol formed midway through the war that
included personal from Winfrith and Broadmayne.
||Date of Birth
Sgt Frank Edgar Ellwood
||Joined HM Forces Jan-43
|Pte Sydney Roy Rogers
|Pte Alan S Colclough
||Joined HM Forces 30/4/43
|Pte Reginald T Moxom
|Pte Hubert George Howe
Frank Ellwood joined the Army and was commissioned into the Royal Army Service Corps in November 1944, He
resigned his commission in 1946 on the grounds of disability. Sydney Rogers later became the patrol sergeant when
Frank Ellwood joined the army. He had three children, one of whom, Katrina M Rogers, was born during the war in
1943. After the war the family moved to live in the Bournemouth area. Sydney Rogers address was Galton Nursery, so
presumably he worked as a nurseryman there.
This is nowadays known as Galton Garden Centre, operating as part of the Wyevale group. Alan Colclough is
Philip Saunders brother in law, who is still alive (2014), but in poor health. Hubert Howe is listed in a wartime
newpaper report as operating an excavator and a local gravel pit at Moreton. Nothing more is currently known about
the other patrol members.
The OB was located in Knighton Heath Wood near RAF Warmwell. The area is now undergoing comprehensive gravel
extraction with huge pits surrounding the area. However, during the war, the area was flat and as RAF Warmwell was
a key fighter station during the Battle of Britain. Later it was taken over by the USAAF to operate fighters.
The OB is an early type Elephant shelter with corrugated iron end walls. It is unusual in being L shaped, with
an additional side chamber towards the end furthest from the entrance. The ventilation pipes are formed from
corrugated iron sheet curled into tubes.
The OB is now collapsing and in a dangerous state. The site is
extremely close to the dispersal pens and outbuildings of RAF Warmwell and apparently was not much used by the
patrol for this reason.
Former patrol leader Philip Saunders pictured alongside the collapsed Broadmayne patrol OB in
As can be seen the roof of the side chamber is collapsing and the end corrugated wall is bowing
Nearby RAF Warmwell airfield would have been a prime target for the patrol after an invasion, denying the
Germans use of one of the few airfields in the area. The main railway line to London from Weymouth and Portland
also passed close by. The barracks of nearby Dorchester would also have been within reach for the patrol.
It is assumed the patrol used the standard issued weapons
National Archives WO199/3390, 199/3391
Photos supplied by and copyright John Pidgeon