Brotton (Abermill) Auxiliary Unit Patrol
This page was last updated at 1:43pm on 1/2/14
Thank you for selecting information on the Brotton Auxiliary Unit Patrol
located in Yorkshire.
Research into this patrol and its training is ongoing. The information below is published
from various sources and is by no means conclusive. If information is not
listed below it does not necessarily mean the information is not out there but normally means
CART researchers have not found it yet.
If you have any information on this patrol or can help with research in this area please do
The Brotton Patrol was part of No 1 Area with Capt E.R. Dixon JGIQ.142/1 as Group Commander assisted by 2nd Lt
A. Stephenson JGIR.116/1 and CSM H. Attwood JFA.994/785
This Patrol was known as the Abermill Patrol named after a watermark on the foolscap paper that they used.
The Group C/o was Captain E R Dixon of Redcar. YJBK/869/457 DOB 08/06/1905 He was a Farmer and Contractor from
Sunk Island. 2 I/C was Lt. A Stephenson of 42 Chester Road in Redcar with C S M H Attwood from Middlesbrough making
the final member of the command structure. The group Sgt Clerk was Sgt George Johnson JCHL/10/1 DOB 06/08/1905 a
Tractor Driver of Halsham.
Major Foljambe was the man in charge at the TA HQ based at 9 St Leonards in York. This was the area HQ and
Administrative centre. The original Auxiliary Unit kits were delivered to Northallerton station and collected by
the Intel Officer for distribution to their patrols.
Not currently known.
Sgt Tom Partridge YJGQ.1523318
Pvt Ike Wilkes JGQK.256/3
Pte J.R. Robinson JGQF.205/1
Pte C. Kaye JGQL.49/5
Pte R. Waller BQDE.194/4
Pte A. Crossman JGQL.190/1
Pte W.H. Brown JGQL.283/1
L/Cpl H Beadnell was an original member.
Cpl T Partridge promoted to Sgt after Sgt Wilkes went to Balkans SOE *not verified
Pte R Waller remembers Sgt Wilkes had been somewhere in the Balkans during WWI. It is thought he went back into
the normal Home Guard and not off to SOE.
The O.B. was past Lumpsey Pit, along the railway line and down the embankment into Kilton Thorpe wood.
Not currently known.
The meeting place was in Brotton Park above Dick Appleby's disused stables. Dick Appleby owned the General
Dealers and Off Licence at the end of the High Street.
The headquarters was in Redcar and there was another section in Castleton who trained with them occasionally but
whose O.B. was not revealed.
Usual equipment supplied in the Aux kits is assumed.
The unit was known within the local Home Guard as Ike Wilkes' Scouts.
Nominal Rolls at the National Archive, Stephen
Lewins CIO Northumberland, http://www.auxunit.org.uk/brotton.htm, Personal recollection of Mr