This page was last updated on 22/6/16
County Durham Auxiliary Unit Patrols And Operational Bases.
Our County Information Officer
(CIO) in this area is:
Name: Stephen Lewins
Tel: N/A Skype: N/A
Please Note: Research into
this county and its patrols are still ongoing. The information below is published from various sources and is
by no means conclusive. If information is not listed below it does not necessarily mean the information is not
out there but normally means our researchers have not found it yet!
The Auxiliary Units were specially trained, highly secret groups of volunteers created
by the British government, during the Second World War, with the aim of resisting the expected occupation of
the United Kingdom by Nazi Germany.
The guerrilla units, sometimes referred to as a part of the British Resistance
Organisation, were initiated by Winston Churchill in the early summer of 1940. He
appointed Colonel Colin
Gubbins to found them. The Auxiliary Units answered
to GHQ Home
Forces, but were organised as if part of the local Home Guard. Read
These were split into areas No.1 – 4. County Durham had 3 and 4.
Area No. 4 Commander was a Captain J.M. Wilson
from Boldon Colliery and his 2i/c was 2 L/t W. Robson of Hartburn.
Each marker pin shows the centre of the town or village where the patrol was located. They do
not indicate the location of any Operational Bases or physical locations to go and view.
View a fullscreen version of the map here.