Culvie Auxiliary Unit Patrol
This page was last updated at 7:30am on 25/5/15
Thank you for selecting information on the Culvie Auxiliary Unit Patrol and their
Operational Base located in Scotland. The info and below has been supplied by Alan Stewart our CIO for
Research into this patrol and its training is ongoing. The information below is published from
various sources and is by no means conclusive. If information is not listed below
it does not necessarily mean the information is not out there but normally means CART researchers
have not found it yet.
If you have any information on this patrol or can help with research in this area please do
Culvie is an area to the North West of Aberchirder. Mainly farm land. There was nothing immediately around that
area that would suggest the Patrol had any major targets.
Lieut A.H Budge was GC, 2nd Lieut L Huchison was Asst GC.
Sgt William Fordyce, Farmer, Newton of Culvie
Corporal William Drummond, Farm worker, Finnygaud Croft
Pvt Jack Stewart, Baker,
Pvt Gilbert Brodie, Joiner Culvie Valley
Pvt George Cruickshank, Farmers son, Overculvie
Pvt George Legge, Farm Worker, Cragieview
Pvt George McDonald, Windyedge
Although Jack Stewart was a member of the Culvie Bunker, he was also a driver for 2nd Lt. Bonar Budge who was Head
Teacher of Marnoch School (1927-1943) and GC of the Marnoch and Forglen groups. Jack visited the other bunkers with
Lt Budge and met some of the members.
The Operational Base was built into the heather-covered hillside, on land above Newton of Culvie belonging to
Culvie Estate and farmed by Sgt Bill Fordyce. It was constructed in a hollow where an old road metal quarry had
There were two sets of bunks made with timber and netting wire, a water container and a primus stove for which
the Sgt Fordyce supplied the paraffin. Food had to be pinched – eggs, snare rabbits, etc – and sometimes Jack
Stewart brought pies and various other perishable goods from the bakery.
The entrance was a box of heather with a rabbit burrow type hole giving access to the keyhole. A step ladder led
down to the bunker which had brick built walls lined with white painted 9-inch boards to make it light.
About 380 yards north of the OB on Park Estate land, was a tree-house style lookout about 5 feet square,
situated on the hillside with a clear view over the Greendykes road to Portsoy – seven miles distant - and the
coast. The lookout was connected to the OB by two wires which allowed the watchers to transmit by Morse code
to the men in the bunker. Usually there were two lookouts and five inside the bunker.
Most likely the targets were minor road and rail networks, about 7 miles away was a substantial railway viaduct
at Portsoy. Portsoy also had a small harbour. From the location of the OB, the coast and activity at Banff Airfield
could be observed.
Not known but we assume the standard issued equipment.
TNA – WO199/3388 201 Bn rolls.
If you can help with any info please contact us.