Dunbar Auxiliary Unit Patrol - (Little Spott Farm) East Lothian,
This page was last updated on 22/2/16
Thank you for selecting information on the Dunbar Auxiliary Unit Patrol and their Operational Base located at East
Lothian Scotland. The info and below has been supplied by CART's Northumberland CIO, Stephen Lewins.
Research into this patrol and its training is ongoing. The information below is published
from various sources and is by no means conclusive. If information is not
listed below it does not necessarily mean the information is not out there but normally means
CART researchers have not found it yet.
If you have any information on this patrol or can help with research in this area please do
The group Intelligence Officers were Major P R A Forbes mid 1941 to
Captain Douglas Clarke mid 1943 to the re-org in 1944 (ex Argylls)
Captain Benson mid 1944 until stand down.
Set up in mid 1941 by Major Forbes (one of twenty patrols he set up). The patrol was part of 201Bn. GHQ Home
Guard Auxiliary Units, No. 4 Area The Scottish Borders.
||2Lt. Glenn W. Aitken
||Cpl. George Thorburn
||Pte. Francis R. (Bertie) Strang
||Farmer at Little Spott
||Pte. Gavin Strang
||Pte. Alan Cockburn
||Pte. Jack Denholm
||Pte. Jimmy Sives
||Pte. John Sives
||Pte. Bert Raeburn
||Pte. R. Anderson
||Pte. D Ross
Cpl. Thorburn became the patrols Sgt. Then later replaced 2Lt Aitken who suffered serious phosphor burns to his
thigh and was discharged from the AU. Gavin Strang later became the patrol Sgt.
The Nominal Roll shows the patrol as Aitken, Thorburn, Ross, Denholm, Strang, Strang and Anderson.
Pte Jimmy Sives in his new uniform taken just before leaving for guard duty at Balmoral.
(Above right - Lt. Glenn Aitken in uniform wearing Glenngarry hat. Above left - Sgt Georre Thorburn in uniform
with lanyard and pistol.)
The OB was between Little Spott farm and Pleasence. The site is approximately two and a half miles South West of
Dunbar. The land at the time the OB was built belonged to Little Spott farm. The land was later sold to the
neighbouring farm. The OB was built into rocky ground on the site of a quarry.
It was originally bricked up at one end by Bertie Strang. The other entrance was covered with a large boulder.
The site is now covered by field stones from ploughing and nothing remains
Size of OB was roughly 20’ x 12’ and an “Elephant” type shelter.
Observation Post: On higher ground by a stone wall above the OB
Main East Coast Railway line and the A1 main England/Scotland road.
Other targets were RAF East Fortune and RAF Lennoxlove (A secret RAF base for hiding surplus aircraft). These
were also targets for the East Linton AU patrol. The beaches at
Belaven Bay and nearby beaches were thought to be possible landing grounds for the German seaborne attack.
Locally on Little Spott farm and the beaches at Dunbar along with visits to Melville House
Usual issue of Explosives. Sniper Rifle, pistols etc.
The Sives brothers went to Balmoral as part of the Royal Family guard. Gavin Strang went to the Isle of Wight as
part of the D-Day garrison for two weeks.
The patrol had no contact with the local Home Guard and operated independently.
A big thanks to Jack Tully-Jackson who has been a great source of information. Anne Wright
(Bertie Strang’s daughter) and Balfour Strang. Other info from Major P.R.A. Forbes
If you can help with any info please contact