Churchill's British Resistance - The Auxiliary Units

 

Little Glemham / Wickham Market Auxiliary Unit Patrol

This page was last updated at 9:40am on 19/5/12

Thank you for selecting information on the Wickham Market/Little Glemham Auxiliary Unit Patrol and their Operational Base in Suffolk. The info and images below have been supplied by Aux researchers Evelyn Simak and Adrian Pye.

The patrol had the codename “Thrush” and formed part of Framlingham Group which also included

Sibton Patrol
Saxmundham (aka Carlton) Patrol
Framlingham Patrol
Stratford St Andrew Patrol
Leiston Patrol – codename “Seamew”
Debenham Patrol
Easton Patrol and Peasenhall Patrol

Group CO: Capt George Scott-Moncrieff *
2nd Lt LWO Turner
Lt TH Denny (Later Major), Barkwith House, Leiston

George Scott-Moncrieff was Group Commander for North and South Suffolk. He lived at Orchard Close, Hacheston near Framlingham during his AU service. His father was Lt Col George Kenneth Scott-Moncrieff of the Royal Engineers, awarded Knight Commander in 1901 for service in India. Capt Scott-Moncrieff was one of the early AU COs along with Andrew Croft, Nigel Oxenden, Captain Peter Fleming and Billy Beyts, all appointed by Colin McVean Gubbins. Info: Stephen Lewins

1940

Sgt Charles Cuthbert
Cpl Ernie W Gilbert
Pte Walter F Ling
Pte W Fuller
Pte EAJ “Ernie” Stewart
Pte Bill Ramsey
Pte Bob G Bird
Pte Peter Stewart

Little Glemham Auxiliary Unit

We believe that the officer at centre front row is Capt George Scott-Moncrieff.
Any information as to the names of the other men depicted would be greatly appreciated.

Little Glemham Operational Base

The OB is located in a private woodland belonging to the Glemham Estate and was accessed by kind permission of the owner.

The site is located within a fir plantation, with the trees being younger than 70 years.  They must have replaced an older woodland that has since been felled.  By a miracle, the main chamber appears to have remained undamaged by forestry work.

The entrance shaft of the structure has collapsed decades ago and the site is no longer recognisable as such, presenting itself to the casual observer not as a depression but as a slight hump in the ground.  There are no tell-tale signs whatsoever that would give away its secret, the buried standard-size elephant shelter hidden underneath it. Had it not been for the very accurate directions received from someone who knew exactly where the site was we would not have found it, in fact, the exact location can only be confirmed by sweeping with a metal detector.

The clear signals received from the metal detector indicate that the main chamber is still intact and in situ, and the hump above it, created by its curved roof, is evidence that the structure has not yet collapsed. No depressions can be discerned at either end and in all probability the collapsed entrance shaft (as well as the exit opening, provided there was one) were filled in a long time ago.

Orientation of OB: E/W – 42ft ASL

Observation Post/s: Not Known

Parham Airfield

Currently unknown

Sten or Thompson submachine guns, Fairbairn-Sykes fighting knives and .38 revolvers plus a variety of explosives, detonators and fuses would have been standard issue.

Currently unknown


Stephen Bayfield; BROM Parham; Stephen Lewins CART CIO Northumberland; DoB (Dr Will Ward)

If you can help with any info please contact us.