Chirnside Zero - Special Duties Radio Zero IN Station at Buckland
This page was last updated at 12:02pm on 21/12/14
Thank you for selecting information on the Special Duties sub out station known as Chirnside Zero located at Buckland
St.Mary. The info and images below have been supplied by CART's Devon
CIO, Nina Hannaford.
Type: Zero (IN) Station and Meteorological Hut
Call sign: “Chirnside Zero”
Date of construction: Currently unknown, though unlikely to be before mid 1942.
The Intelligence Officer (IO) for the Special Duties Branch of Auxiliary Units covered the South West, including
Somerset and Devon.
The initial Intelligence Officer for the whole area was Captain Coxwell-Rogers M.C (his name was
Cecil Mein Probyn Dighton and he assumed the name Coxwell-Rogers during World War 1) and for a time
was based at 13, Mount Street, Taunton. He was in the Gloucestershire Regiment and was given the
honorary rank of Captain when he relinquished his commission in January 1944 due to ill health.
Coxwell-Rogers illness meant that in 1942 he was succeeded by Captain Edward (Ned) Fingland, who
took over temporarily while his predecessor was hospitalised. By late 1943 the IO was Captain
Arthur Douglas Ingrams from the Axminster area who was operating “Chirnside 1” and was replaced by
Captain E C Grover in 1944 after Ingrams was sent to Norfolk then the Middle East.
Sergeant Alfred Ellis of the Royal Signals was the Sergeant covering the Buckland St Mary
(“Chirnside”) networks along with Cheddon Fitzpaine (“Golding”) and Winchester.(“Omagh”)
Sgt. Alf Ellis
A 1944 map of the Special Duties wireless network shows the central “Zero” (IN) Station for the “Chirnside”
network was at Castle Neroche, Buckland St Mary, Somerset.
This had links to the other Out Stations of the network at: “Chirnside” 1, Bewley Down, (and sub Out Station at 1A Axminster), 2
Widworthy, both in Devon and 3 Puriton (and the sub Out Stations at 3A Spaxton and 3B Brent Knowle), 4 Puckington and 5
Edgarley in Somerset.
There were also links to the “Golding” network at Cheddon Fitzpaine Zero Station in Somerset and the
“Osterley” network at the Blandford Zero Station in Dorset.
Due to a communication problem, messages from “Osterley 1” at Hawkchurch (and sub Out Station “1A” at
Lyme Regis) and “Osterley 2” at Bridport went through “Chirnside Zero” and were forwarded to
Original 1944 SD map with locations added.
This map was produced by Major RMA Jones (Officer Commanding Auxiliary Units Signals) in 1944. In an interview
in August 1997, Arthur Gabbitas (AU Signals) states he believes it to be inaccurate in places.
Sergeant Alf Ellis' first mention of the site is 15th July 1942 where he takes “car to BSM [Buckland St Mary]
Beatrice Temple (Auxiliary Territorial Service) records in her diary a visit to Buckland St Mary on 13th August 1942 with the IO Capt.
“Chirnside Zero” was known to have been operated by members of the
Auxiliary Units Signals. At least three operators were stationed here at one
time: two wireless operators and one technician.
Known operators were: Corporal J Mackie, Sig. H C Norris, Sig.
Albert E Leaverland and L/Cpl Arthur Gabbitas (Auxiliary
Corporal J Mackie
H C Norris
L/Cpl Arthur Gabbitas
Gabbitas was known to have been stationed here around 1943 before
moving on to Lincoln. They operated in “working” uniform and only used the
underground station for exercises. He recalled they did not have any contact with the Regular
Their roll was not only to man the IN station, receiving messages
from the “Chirnside” network and forwarding on, but they also helped maintain
the networks OUT Stations. The men had a scout car, a Morris 10hp, which they used to check aerials and
change the batteries in “Chirnside's” OUT stations, aiming to visit two a
Gabbitas' travel pass
Although in Lincoln at the time, Gabbitas recalls the days before D-Day all
stations were told to broadcast a constant stream of coded messages, 24 hours
a day, with an aim to confuse any enemy who may have managed to listen in.
The billet at Castle Neroche Farm © Copyright
The men were billeted at Castle Neroche Farm with the farmers Mr and Mrs Gent. Mr
Gent, with his broad Somerset accent, introduced the men to the delights of Somerset cider. The telephone number
was Buckland St Mary 228.
The billet, underground dugout and above ground hut are all within two minutes
walk of each other.
The underground Zero Station and the nearby “Meteorological” (“Met”) hut or IN
Station were constructed within the confines of Castle Neroche, Buckland St Mary, Somerset.
The location is managed by the Neroche Scheme, led by the Forestry Commission and is open to the public.
The Zero Station dugout was within the ramparts of the Norman motte and bailey castle and built by the Royal
It is thought to have been filled in rather than removed but as the site is a Scheduled Ancient Monument this
cannot be investigated further. Maybe, in future, digital imaging may help resolve this.
The layout is unknown but it may have been similar to other discovered Zero Stations such as at Norwich.
Arthur Gabbitas recalled the general Zero Station lay out as having an entrance where stores were kept, a main
chamber where they operated and had bunks and a sealed chamber that housed the generator. This chamber and a tunnel
leading from it acted as an exhaust for the generator fumes and an escape tunnel for the men if necessary.
Castle Neroche ramparts
The concrete base that supported the above ground “Met” hut is still in situ. These were sometimes a wooden hut
sited on a concrete base disguised to resemble a Meteorological Hut with maps etc on the walls though there was not
a standard design in all areas.
Site of the “Met” Hut
View from the “Met” Hut showing the elevation above the Vale of Taunton.
Directions to the location(s): Turn off the A303 at The Eagle Tavern near Buckland St Mary. The
forth turning on the right leads to the car park at Castle Neroche.
The location is managed by the Neroche Scheme led by the Forestry Commission and is open to the public.
Arthur Gabbitas and IWM recording 29463
Somerset HER Reference PNR 28026 and PNR 44544.
British Resistance Archive.
If you can help with any info please contact