Golding 1 A - Special Duties Radio Sub OutStation.
This page was last updated at 7:07pm on 13/9/12
Thank you for selecting information on the
Duties sub out station known as Golding 1 Able located at
the Hare and Hounds public house in Sidbury, nr. Ottery St.Mary
in Devon. The info and images below have been supplied by CART's Devon
CIO, Nina Hannaford.
The Intelligence Officer (IO) for the Special Duties Branch of Auxiliary Units covered the South West, including
Somerset and Devon.
The initial Intelligence Officer for the whole area was Captain Coxwell-Rogers M.C (his name was Cecil Mein
Probyn Dighton and he assumed the name Coxwell-Rogers during World War 1) and for a time was based at 13, Mount
Street, Taunton. He was in the Gloucestershire Regiment and was given the honorary rank of Captain when he
relinquished his commission in January 1944 due to ill health.
Coxwell-Rogers illness meant that in 1942 he was succeeded by Captain Edward (Ned) Fingland, who took over
temporarily while his predecessor was hospitalised. By late 1943 the IO was Captain Arthur Douglas Ingrams from the
Axminster area who was operating “Chirnside 1” and was replaced by Captain E C Grover in 1944 after Ingrams was
sent to Norfolk then the Middle East.
Sergeant Alfred Ellis of the Royal Signals was the Sergeant covering the Cheddon Fitzpaine (“Golding”) networks
along with Buckland St Mary (“Chirnside”) and Winchester.(“Omagh”) networks.
The Landlord of the Hare and Hounds in 1939 was Henry John Smith. As he was still the landlord
during war time so I assume he must have been involved. In the 1950's his wife is recorded as the licensee.
Their son Eric David (“Birdie”) Smith was at the nearby All Hallows School up to around 1943 and would regularly
ride his bicycle home at the weekend. He could also have been aware of what was in the attic. He
later became an Intelligence Officer with the Gurkha Rifles and a highly regarded Military Historian.
SUB OUT STATION
The SDS Station was in the attic of the Hare and Hounds Public House. The attic covered the extent of the
The Hare and Hounds is quite an isolated public house between the villages of Ottery St Mary and Sidbury. It is
situated directly on a crossroads on the A375 called Putts Corner. This is an isolated but strategic crossroads on
the A375 leading from the seaside town of Sidmouth to more inland Honiton.
There are very few houses or farm houses close by but it is assumed that nobody would take much notice of frequent
A 1944 map of the Special Duties wireless network shows links from Golding Zero at Cheddon Fitzpaine to
Chirnside Zero near Buckland St Mary (Castle Neroche) along with links to Golding 1 (West Hill), 2 (Pinhoe) 3
(Hemyock) and 4 (Wiveliscombe). The Hare and Hounds was linked to "Golding 1" at West Hill and so onwards from
This station would have relayed information with the nearby Golding 1 Station at West Hill. No evidence remains
Golding 1 Able Special Duties Section station was given the War Office Reference of T 578176.
Interestingly, nearby was RAF Fairmile where radio beams were being put to a different use.
The LuIftwaffe relied on a system of directional radio beams to navigate by, especially for night
bombing raids. This was called the Knickebein system. If the signal changed, the plane was “off cause” and the
navigator had to search for and pick up the correct signal again.
British radar counter measures to the Knickebein system could reflect or divert the radio beam to put the German
bombers off cours http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Beams#cite_note-8
There was one such “beam bending” unit near the former Fairmile Inn on the old A30.
Page 4 for more information.
Kelly's Directories. Information recorded by Arthur Gabbitas and supplied by Tom Sykes,
Article by Chris Saunders, Robert Neale of Ottery St Mary Heritage Society.
If you can help with any info please contact