Wangford Auxiliary Unit Patrol
This page was last updated at 10:11 am on 13/8/12
Thank you for selecting information on the Wangford Auxiliary Unit Patrol
and Operational Base in Suffolk. The info and images below have been supplied by CART's Norfolk CIO, Evelyn Simak
and CART's Suffolk CIO Adrian Pye.
The Wangford Aux is part of the Beccles Group of 5 patrols
W.D.G. Bartram as C/o.
It is currently unknown when the patrol was formed.
Pte. William "Billy" Hazell
Pte. George Frederick Breyenton
Source: Stephen Lewins (CART CIO for Northumberland)
The land forms part of the Henham Estate as was accessed with the land owners permission.
The OB is situated in small woodland roughly in the middle between the villages of Wangford and Uggeshall, above
marsh pastures. It sits in mature woodland and remains intact. It measures 7.30m (L) x 3.05m (W) x 2.30m (highest
point) and is orientated: NW-SE / 85’ A.S.L.
The OB is an elephant shelter-type underground structure comprising a Nissen hut resting on a concrete plinth
which seems to originally have been painted white. Both end walls were built from mainly breezeblocks with some red
bricks. The entrance is at the south-east end with the exit facing it at the opposite end. There are two glazed
ceramic pipe vents in the south-east wall and one in the north-west wall (near exit).
It has a drop-down shaft entrance built from breezeblocks, the cover of which appears to have been a reinforced
concrete slab (shattered): 0.76m x 1.40m, depth 2.40m, 9 (corroded) and there are steel rungs set across one
There is a shallow recess at the bottom of the south-facing wall (room for counterweights?). Broken concrete and
breezeblocks lying near the wall recess.
Other physical remains.
Bucket, glass jar, aluminium flask, broken ceramic piping, saucepan, 1940s Valor Junior No. 56 Kerosene heater
stove, unidentified steel frame ?, lantern?, chain hanging from roof, hook affixed to side of roof, vent covers,
remains of original lid ?, rusty tin
The structure is in very good condition although the curved corrugated sheets have started to corrode from the
base. A number of items (probably used by patrol members) were found inside. The entrance cover appears to have
been a reinforced concrete slab and has been shattered. Pieces of broken concrete and breezeblocks were found on
the floor of the entrance shaft. Pieces of broken concrete reinforced with steel rods (original lid ?) were found
in the corner beside the entrance. The exit appears to have collapsed. Its internal opening is backfilled with sand
that forms a fairly large heap on the ground below, partially obscuring the exit opening. We found broken pieces of
glazed ceramic pipes and rusty pieces of corrugated iron mixed in with the sand. Corrugated iron lining the exit
passage can be seen around the upper rim and sides. We failed to find the exterior opening of the emergency exit
which, according to Mr Edwards who played here as a child, used to be surrounded by bricks or concrete. He
describes the exit as a narrow, level tunnel. He could not remember if the tunnel ran in a straight line or whether
it was curved.
Observation Post/s: Currently unknown.
Stephen Lewins / CART
“Suffolk At War (1940-1944)” by Geoff Dewing (1996): marked on map,
Ray Edwards, Brampton (oral report)
If you can help with any info please