Churchill's British Resistance - The Auxiliary Units

 

Wool Auxiliary Unit Patrol

This page was last updated on 14/1/13 at 12:05pm

Thank you for selecting information on the Wool Auxiliary Unit Patrol and Operational Base. This patrol report was provided by CART CIO for Dorset Dr. Will Ward.

Research into this patrol and its training is ongoing. The information below is published from various sources and is by no means conclusive. If information is not listed below it does not necessarily mean the information is not out there but normally means CART researchers have not found it yet.

If you have any information on this patrol or can help with research in this area please do contact us.

It is not known for certain if there was a Wool patrol – however there are a number of men listed in the nominal roll from this area and nearby Bovington, who are not known to have been members of any other patrol.

Group Commander was Captain Fortnum from Bloxworth, with help from Lt Quick from Wareham. Sgt Bridges, Grenadier Guards delivered equipment early on (prob Jan-June 1941)

Formed perhaps as late as 1942/43.

Name Date of Birth Occupation  . Died
Sgt. Edgar Cooper 5/10/1923 . . .

Pte. Cecil Francis Whitefield

7/5/1899 . . .
Pte. Frederick Harry White 26/7/1895 . . .
Pte. Henry John Nichols 17/01/1912 . . .
Pte. Raymond Heath Rogers 16/12/1903 . . .
Pte. Albert Edward L Hemmings 07/03/1904 . Joined in June 1943 .
Pte. Edward Andrew 31/10/1892  . Joined in December 1942 .

It is not known for certain if there was a Wool patrol – however there are a number of men listed in the nominal roll from this area and nearby Bovington, who are not known to have been members of any other patrol. Access to a 1944 list of patrols suggests that there wasn’t a Wool patrol, so it may be that the Winfrith Patrol was reformed using men from a slightly different area, with Sgt Edgar Cooper as the sole member of that patrol to continue. It would make sense to use men from a slightly different area if this happened.

Raymond Rogers worked for the MoD after the war.

There was an OB in Marley Wood, on the road between Winfrith Newburgh and West Lulworth. This was possibly the OB used by this unit.

Unknown

Unknown

Unknown

 

Unknown

Information from John Pidgeon and NA file WO199/3391.