Churchill's British Resistance - The Auxiliary Units


Auxiliary Unit Members Who Died In Service During WW2

This page was last updated at 7:38am on 1/7/14

Here are some details about members of 201, 202 and 203 Bn. GHQ Auxiliary Units killed or died during their service. More research may be required for some of the entries listed here. This has been compiled by Stephen Lewins (CIO Northumberland) with help from other CIO's.

202 Bn. Norfolk

Sgt. William Davies leader of the Stody Patrol - Killed while unloading a cement mixer, he was replaced by Jack C. High (an estate worker).

202 Bn. Suffolk

Pte. Hugh George Dunt, who was a member of the Bentley Patrol. He was killed in a road traffic accident.

201 Bn. Northumberland

Pte. James “Jimmy” Robinson a member of the Felton Patrol. He was killed after returning to an unexploded charge in Felton Quarry. He was hit by the rock fall as the charge went off. He died in Alnwick hospital a few days after the accident in 1943. Cause of death was recorded as “Pulmonary Embolism”.

Jimmy Robinson was a farmer at Snipe House just on the edge of Alnwick. Incidentally his sister married Jimmy Green who was in the Paxtondene Patrol.

202 Bn. Herefordshire

Sgt. Angus Briton Wilson a member of the “Caleb” Patrol from Dindor Hill near Hereford. His National Registration Number was OFBH 244/2. A.B.Wilson was replaced by Cpl. D. Howard-Smith (Nat. Reg. No. OGGA 178/1).

Major W.W.Harston the Intelligence Officer for the area noted on the Nominal Roll that Wilson “Died of Natural Causes 16/9/44”.

203 Bn. Hampshire 

Pte. L. Wright a member of Parkgate A or B Patrol or Locks Heath A or B Patrol. He lived in the Swanwick area to the south east of Southampton and the above are the closest patrols, maybe someone will know the correct one.
His National Registration Number was EDIZ 282/1. Born 4/3/95 he joined the Home Guard on the 10/6/40 and died 1/0/42. The Nominal Roll only says “Casualty List” no other details are given.

Pte.W.C. Harfield. National Registration Number EBBN 163/1. Died 23/11/43. Born 10/11/86 he would have been 57, reasonably old for an Auxilier. He was from Charlton near Andover. Patrol unknown at this time. No cause of death listed.

201 Bn. Scottish Borders

Pte. Andrew C. “Dannie” Burns of the Greenlaw Patrol Dannie was killed in a training exercise at the Otterburn Ranges in Northumberland 26/7/42. His death was caused by a grenade going off, details are a bit sketchy. He is buried in Greenlaw Parish Church Yard and remembered on the War Memorial as a Pte. of the 3rd Bn. Scottish Borders Home Guard.

203 Bn. Dorset 

C.R. Everleigh a member of the Child Okefield Patrol. National Registration Number WLHJ 153/3. Joined the Home Guard 12/10/42. His date of birth was 10/7/26. Listed as a casualty 21/7/44.

Captain A.D. Hubbard is asked in a letter from the Secretary of Berks T.A. to provide them with the details about C.R. Everleigh but Captain A.D.Hubbard says that he has no record of the man even though he is listed on the Nominal Roll (WO199/3390). Discharged to H.M. Forces 17/7/44 and listed as a casualty on the 21/7/44 makes his military career very short. No other details have come to light so far.

Pte. Arthur John Gill a member of the Abbotsbury Patrol. National Registration Number WLDD 74/4, he was in a reserved occupation as a Tractor Driver. Date of birth 22/8/12 he joined the Home Guard on 9/1/42.

The 31 year old tractor driver lived with his widowed mother Florence and brother at Sunnyside in Abbotsbury. On the night of Sunday 21st May 1944 he had walked his fiancée, Alice Diment, back to her residence at New Barn Farm. On his way home he was shot dead.

K Company of the 3rd Battalion, 16th Infantry Regiment was part of the US Army's 1st Division, the Big Red One. Veterans of the fighting in North Africa, they were based in Abbotsbury in the run up to D Day. An American sentry, Private Quinton Roosavelt Gregson fired the fatal shots. At the inquest he stated that he had challenged three times, then fired as Arthur Gill ran away. Afterwards he knocked on the door on Mr E F Cutler of Grove Lane, saying "I have killed a man".  Another soldier present at the time declined to give evidence, as was his right at an inquest.

The coroner recorded a verdict that Gill died from a gunshot wound, but that it wasn't clear how the shot came to be fired.

Arthur Gill was buried at St Nicholas Church, Abbotsbury. Along with his brother, fiancée and friends, his Auxiliary Units comrades attended the funeral. The service was conducted by Rev W G E Squire.

The Somerset County Herald covered the inquest (27/5/44) which again is full of holes. Acting Coroner Mr. P.M. Wicham recorded the verdict that Gill “died from a gun shot, though there was insufficient evidence to show how the shot was fired”.

The un-named American soldier attended the inquest but never spoke and any trial against him was dismissed.

We have shown this story to several people who all think it is a cover up story for a raid by the Abbotsbury patrol or some of the members and that went wrong. Whether Gill and some others or the patrol were raiding the U.S. 1st. Army camp or out poaching the existence of the Auxiliary Units was kept hidden.

203 Bn Cornwall

Frederick G Rounsefell. Born 16/2/1913 and died 26/3/1944 aged 31 of St. Colomb Patrol. Could have died from Tetanus.

Special Duties Branch

Subaltern, BETTY BERKELEY DICKEN (nee Vaile), 205715. Auxiliary Territorial Service. Died 8th November 1943. Age 26. was found in the Heathfield Park SDS bunker having died of Carbon monoxide poisoning. Her husband Lt G. H. Dicken Royal Engineers was serving overseas.

She was cremated and her name is recorded on Wokingham Memorial (Panel 2)

Corporal Laurence Tee, 4923785 Royal Corps of Signals.  Died 16 April 1943. An accident occurred on 16 April 1943, Corporal Tee an AU Signals maintenance man, climbed up a tree to check the aerial.  On his way down the rope broke and he fell down, landing on his back.  He was taken to Ipswich where he died. The rope had been kept in the back of the truck where the replacement batteries were also kept.  Apparently acid from the batteries had spilled onto the rope, causing it to weaken and eventually break.

He is buried in St Michaels Churchyard, Boldmere, Grave Reference: Sec. 3. Grave 48

Information from The National Archives in Kew. The Somerset County Herald. The Western Times. Isobel Jane Hall. and the Berkshire T.A.A.