Castlehigh (Camrose) Auxiliary Unit Patrol
Thank you for selecting information on
the Castlehigh (Camrose) Auxiliary Unit and Operational Base. The info below has come from our internal
This page was last updated at 9:12am on
Research into this patrol and its training is ongoing. The information below is published from
various sources and is by no means conclusive. If information is not listed below
it does not necessarily mean the information is not out there but normally means CART researchers
have not found it yet.
If you have any information on this patrol or can help with research in this area please do
Officially recorded as Castlehigh Patrol, local memories recall it as Camrose Patrol. Castlehigh is an area of
Haverford West and Camrose is just to the north.
Initially Pembrokeshire and Carmarthenshire were grouped together and administered from the HQ at Penllwyn Park,
Carmarthen by the Intelligence Officer Captain J C Crawley. Pembrokeshire was later to become part of Area 20 along
with Glamorganshire and Carmarthenshire.
After 1941 a “grouping” system was developed where some patrols within a demographic area would train together
under more local command. Castlehigh (Camrose) was part of group 4 along Milton, Kilgetty (Stepaside), Fishguard ,
Letterston, Berry Hill, Milford Haven and Nevern.
It is known that there were also some communications with Carmarthenshire Patrols.
The Group Commanders were Captain J B Ebsworth (in charge of Admin) and Captain T J George (Operational)
assisted by Lieutenants W G Smith (Operational) and S M Davies(Admin).
Before stand down it is recorded that Pembrokeshire is part of Region 4 along with the whole of the South West
Peninsular and Wales and the final Intelligence Officer was Major W W Harston based in Ashburton in Devon assisted
by Captain G Woodward.
The IOs were being withdrawn from around September 1944 leaving the Area and Group
Sergeant A E Leakey of Castlehigh
Corporal A R Gwilliam of Lamber Hall
Private R James of Lamber Hall
Private T G Thomas of Honeybrook
Private H L Davies of Rogerston South
Private F Davies of Rogerston Cross
Private E Austin of Druidstone Cross
Private J G B Codd of Haverfordwest joined HM Forces late 1942
Private J H Matias of Haverfordwest joined HM Forces late 1942
Private K L Warlow of Camrose joined HM Forces late 1942
Unknown, but it is assumed that they had the standard weapons and explosives issued to all patrols.
Charlie Shrives of Milford Haven Patrol remembered the “Camrose” patrol with affection ; “They were a very
good Unit and we carried out several manoeuvres with them. During these schemes we used to carry fish with us and
exchange them for eggs. One family managed to supply two eggs so typical of “Stokey” [Sgt Lewis of Milford Haven
Patrol] he gave them a large cod in exchange”
TNA Reference WO199/3389
Major Hancock data held at B. R. A
The Last Ditch by David Lampe
The Story of Stokey Lewis by Walter Ireland
If you can help
with any info please contact us.