Great Ayton Auxiliary Unit Patrol
This page was last updated at 6:58 am on 1/12/12
Thank you for selecting information on the Great Ayton Auxiliary Unit Patrol
located in Yorkshire. The info below has been compiled by Stephen Lewins CART CIO for
Research into this patrol and its training is ongoing. The information below is published
from various sources and is by no means conclusive. If information is not
listed below it does not necessarily mean the information is not out there but normally means
CART researchers have not found it yet.
If you have any information on this patrol or can help with research in this area please do
The patrol was part of No. 1 Area 202 Bn GHQ Reserve North Yorks AU. There were eleven patrols in this
The Group C/o was Captain E R Dixon of Redcar. YJBK/869/457 DOB 08/06/1905 He was a Farmer and Contractor from
Sunk Island. 2 I/C was Lt. A Stephenson of 42 Chester Road in Redcar with C S M H Attwood from Middlesbrough making
the final member of the command structure. The group Sgt Clerk was Sgt George Johnson JCHL/10/1 DOB 06/08/1905 a
Tractor Driver of Halsham.
Major Foljambe was the man in charge at the TA HQ based at 9 St Leonards in York. This was the area HQ and
Administrative centre. The original Auxiliary Unit kits were delivered to Northallerton station and collected by
the Intel Officer for distribution to their patrols.
Late 1940 - Early 1941
|Lt. J F
|Pte. F G Forster
|Pte. G W Brown
|Pte. R Whitworth
|Pte. R S Williamson
|Pte. C Raw
All of the patrol members are from Great Ayton and lived fairly close to one another. F G Forster was a Straw
& Hay Merchant. G W Brown was a miner and probably responsible for the location of the OB. R Whitworth worked
as an Electrical Engineer. R S Williamson was a local Chemist. C Raw worked for Moody’s an Agricultural
The OB was located in Cliff Ridge Woods to the east of Great Ayton at the eastern end of the Langbaurgh Ridge. A
public footpath cuts through the woods close to the site.
The OB was inside an Ironstone mine and entered via a concealed trapdoor on the surface. This dropped down to a
tunnel section and the OB with its bunk beds and usual Aux. equipment was at the end of this. It is not known if
the site contained an “Elephant “type shelter or was just a fitted out cave. The tunnel ran away from the main
shaft and easy to miss if you did not know where it was located.
The OB was found in the 1960’s and then filled in by the Army and the shaft entrance sealed. There is now
nothing of the OB left to see. The area of the Ironstone mine has now also covered over with vegetation.
There was also a possible Observation Post near Airyholme Farm on the edge of the woodland to the south of the
main farm. This would have overlooked the nearby road and SW approaches and to the NE the site had a view of
Roseberry Topping, the local hill and high point.
Road and rail links and several airfields and decoy sites in the surrounding area.
Locally and at Middleton on the Wold.
Usual equipment supplied in the Aux kits is assumed.
Nominal Rolls at the National Archive, Old paperwork supplied by Dennis
Walker and an article from a Yorkshire newspaper.