Laxfield (aka Ubbeston Patrol) Auxiliary Unit Patrol
This page was last updated at 3:48pm on 5/12/11
Thank you for selecting information on the Laxfield Auxiliary Unit Patrol
and their Operational Base in Suffolk. The info and images below have been
supplied by Aux researchers Evelyn Simak and Adrian Pye.
This patrol is also occasionally referred to as Ubbeston Patrol. It formed part of the Metfield Group which also
Stradbroke Patrol and Weybread Patrol
Group CO: Lt Hedley Rusted (local butcher)
It is currently unknown when the patrol was formed.
Sgt Peter J Freeman
Cpl Gordon Ayers
F Ray Mann
Fred W Neave
TXIJ 43/5 Edward “Ted” George Pipe (still alive Sept 2011) - joined in 1942 *
Ivan A Smith
TXIQ 50/1 W Garford – left pre 1943 - *replaced by EG Pipe
The OB was accessed by kind (one-off) permission of the landowner on the condition that there will be no
follow-ups, no further contacts and no visits by us or by any others.
Please note: This land is strictly private and the owner does not wish
to be contacted concerning access - permission will not be granted and trespassers will be
The OB consisted of a standard-size Nissen hut buried just below the upper edge of a strip woodland growing on a
slope. The materials used were corrugated sheeting and wood.
The corrugated sheeting forming the roof is corroded and has become displaced and distorted by the weight of the
overlying soil. The main chamber is filled with soil and debris up to almost under the roof. A crawl space remains
and it is still accessible through it.
Both the entrance and exit openings have been exposed due to the surrounding ground level having subsided, the
reason being that much of the surrounding soil has trickled into the main chamber. The roof of the main chamber is
covered with soil and forms a mound on which some trees are growing. It is surrounded by a gully-like depression
all the way around. The structure was about 3.60m long and is orientated E/W.
According to patrol member Ted Pipe, the entrance was in the west. The entrance opening had a trapdoor the cover
of which could be lifted. On the other side of it wooden steps led down into the chamber.
Mr Pipe cannot recall there being an exit although the gully-like depression leading away from one end of the
structure would suggest that there was a tunnel there.
(Above) One opening – we think this was the exit opening - is large enough to provide access, the other is a
small hole in the ground.
Observation Post/s: Currently unknown.
Airfields, railway lines and railway bridges in the vicinity
Training was done locally by army instructors who used to come out. Training at Hoxne and Weybread; 1 week in
The patrol had no rifles, all they had was a revolver each and one round of ammunition plus knifes,
knuckledusters, and of course explosives and hand grenades. The patrol members shared a Sten gun between them.
BROM’s record for the OB being situated “in Ubbeston Wood nr Hill Farm between Laxfield and Ubbeston” is
Ivan Mower (member of Stradbroke patrol); Ted Pipe (member of Laxfield patrol); Stephen Lewins CART CIO
Northumberland; BROM Parham
If you can help with any info please