Lincolnshire Auxiliary Unit Intelligence
This page was last updated at 9:58am on 6/6/15
The County of Lincolnshire boasted 37 Auxiliary Units at the end
of 1941, 30 when they were all completed and was Commanded by Captain Donald Hamilton-Hill
from the very early days of 1940 when he was an acting Captain at the War Office in Section
MIL (b) which was responsible for British Military Missions Overseas.
Through his contacts namely Major Peter Wilkinson of the Royal
Fusiliers he was invited to a meeting with Colonel Gubbins and was given the responsibility
of Intelligence Officer of the County of Lincolnshire and promoted to full Captain. His two
Officers commanding the Scout Sections were Lt Eric Dring from the
Lincolnshire Regiment and Lt William Lamb of the Leicestershire Regiment who according to
Hamilton-Hill were two very fine Officers with Dring going on to SOE serving in Asia and Lamb
becoming the Intelligence Officer of Lincolnshire when Hamilton-Hill transferred out to SOE at the
end of 1941.
It is understood that Blankney Hall in Lincolnshire was where
Captain Hamilton-Hill had his HQ situated in the Stables.
|Captain Donald Hamilton-Hill
The gates to Blankney Hall
Now lead to nowhere. The Hall was gutted by fire in1945 and later demolished.
© Copyright Jonathan Thacker
At stand down, Lincolnshire was part of Group 2 along with North Riding, East Riding, Norfolk and Suffolk. The
last IO was Major H L F Bucknall along with Captain A D Hubbard from their HQ at North Bar Within, Beverley, E.
Beverley North Bar
Photo taken from North Bar Within
© Copyright David Wright