Churchill's British Resistance - The Auxiliary Units


Tamerton Foliot Auxiliary Unit Patrol

Thank you for selecting information on the Tamerton Foliot Auxiliary Unit and Operational Base. The info and images below have been supplied by CART's Devon CIO Nina Hannaford.

This page was last updated at 6:00pm on 22/5/15

Research into this patrol and its training is ongoing. The information below is published from various sources and is by no means conclusive. If information is not listed below it does not necessarily mean the information is not out there but normally means CART researchers have not found it yet.

If you have any information on this patrol or can help with research in this area please do contact us.

Tamerton Foliot was a village but is now a suburb in the north of Plymouth. It is near the confluence of the Rivers Tavy and Tamar.

From the very first meeting in Whitehall in July 1940 the Intelligence Officer for Devon and Cornwall (named Auxiliary Units SW Area) was Captain (later Major, then Colonel) J W Stuart Edmundson, an officer in the Royal Engineers. He liaised with the regular army and received supplies and equipment and formed all the Patrols. He was assisted by Lieutenant (later Captain) John “Jack” Dingley who became IO for Cornwall in 1943 though he may have assumed the roll before that.

In November 1943 Devon and Cornwall were separated and Edmundson was succeeded in Cornwall by Captain John Dingley and in Devon by Major W W “Bill” Harston who would remain in command until near stand down. At the end of Harston's command he would cover “No 4 Region” being the whole of the South West Peninsular and Wales.

The IOs were being withdrawn from around August 1944 leaving the Area and Group Commanders.

After 1941 a “grouping” system was developed where some patrols within a demographic area would train together under more local command.

At stand down Devon is recorded as area 16 and Tamerton Foliot is part of group 2 along with Plympton and Yelverton and another two Patrols under the Group and Area Command of Captain Cyril Wellington of Plympton.

 Currently unknown.

Sergeant George Tilbury
Corporal Edward Pedrick
John Pethick
Kenneth Fitz
William Southwould
John Symons

These men would have joined the Patrols as others left :
Leslie Bennetto discharged to HM Forces April 1943
Ronald Medland discharged to HM Forces April 1943
Charles Chanter posted to 16th Battalion Home Guard March 1944
Donald Gillett discharged September 1944 having left the area.

Currently unknown. A suggested location is around Warleigh Point near the River Tamar and Tavy.

OS New Popular Edition sheet 187 with the village circled north of the City of Plymouth.

The proximity to the River Tavey and Tamar would make any river traffic a possible target.

The River Tavy rail bridge along with the smaller Black Bridge would cause disruption to supplies north from the city of Plymouth if blocked or damaged.

Disruption at the junction of the A386 and the A38 at Crownhill would have hindered supplies both north and east out of the City of Plymouth.

The Patrol could even have had targets within the City.

River Tavy Railway bridge. © Copyright Andrew Le Couteur Bisson.

Currently unknown.

 Unknown, but it is assumed that they had the standard weapons and explosives issued to all patrols.

John Pethick remembered a group meeting with (the then) Captain Stuart Edmundson (IO) in The Queens Arms in Tamerton Foliot.

After detailed instructions on the care of firearms he remembered Captain Edmundson reciting a poem ;

A man's not old when his hair turns grey
And a man's not old when his teeth decay
But a man is old and is near his last sleep
When he makes a date which he cannot keep.

Captain Edmundson later denied any responsibility for the poem.

Edward Pedrick and Ron Medland were cousins and Edward was the only member to receive the defence medal.
Ken Fitz and William Southwould were cousins and John Symons was William's father-in-law.

John Pethick worked as a market gardener and Leslie Bennetto was a builder. Ron Medland served in Plymouth City Police after the war.

The Group and Area Commander Captain Cyril Wellington visits the Patrol and records it in his diary in November 1942.

TNA ref WO199/3391
Hancock data held at B. R. A
BROM newsletter no 5 (March 2000)

If you can help with any info please contact Nina by emailing